Memorizing can be difficult sometimes. When I was a child, I was able to memorize (and retain!) multiple verses and passages of Scripture. Now, though, it seems like it is becoming more difficult for me to do so. However, I don’t want to use my age as an excuse since even the psalmist, David, as an adult, stated, “I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you”. To me, that means it should to be a life-long habit. Because of that, I find it is necessary now to find some new, creative ways to continue on the memorization path.
Because it seems to be a very effective way for me to memorize, I continue to use the following method that I developed for myself a couple of years ago:
- Day 1 of each month, I go to the new passage that I have assigned myself for that month.
- I read it out loud and then copy it word-for-word, phrase by phrase, on an index card (of which I have an ample supply in my Bible cover. I am also sure to have one of my favorite writing pens in the pocket as well so I can use it each day.).
- After writing out the verses, I read them again, slowly and methodically, so that I can soak in the meaning that the Lord wants me to glean for that day.
- Days 2-10 (depending on the passage length), I repeat steps 1-3.
- About day 11, I sense that I can remember a phrase or two and write them down without having to look at my Bible. I try to write as many phrases as possible from memory. After writing it down, I check my copy with the actual verses in the Bible and make corrections when necessary. Then I read the passage out loud, trying to say it without looking at my index card.
- About day 25, I realize that the passage has been put to memory and I continue, daily, until the end of the month with writing it and then repeating it out loud. If I have time, I also try to say the previous months’ passages that have been memorized.
Do you have any additional suggestions and/or methods of memorization?
If you are not already memorizing any Bible verses right now, I would love for you to join me in memorizing God’s Word in your heart so you “might not sin against God”.
Bible passages for 2010–